Enhancing biodiversity and ecotourism in Russia
Type: Enhancing biodiversity and ecotourism in Russia
Duration: February 2007 – July 2008
Total budget: 89,000 GBP (of which 50 % from the PECE programme)
Aim: To support protected areas in Central Siberia in their work focused on ecotourism and biodiversity conservation.
Description: The project helped to 12 protected areas in Central Siberia to improve biodiversity conservation and promote ecosystem services provided by protected areas through education, capacity building, sustainable tourism development and promotion of tourism potential to European market.
- An innovative training programme for protected area managers developed and tested.
- 21 PA managers and local specialists in ecotourism trained.
- Information about the protected areas and ecotourism infrastructure collected, quality text and photo content for 10 PA developed.
- A multi-lingual (English, Russian, German) web-site ecosiberia set up.
- Pilot tours and programmes for each participating PA formulated.
- Two field visits by experts to assess local opportunities and infrastructures for ecotourism development for the international market.